Frequently Asked Questions - Expand All Hide All

Q: My warrant is for UF. What's that mean?

UF = Unpaid Fines. Pay at clerk of courts office or online.

FTA = Failure to Appear. Contact your attorney or DA Office to schedule a court date.

Body Only = Must Appear in Court. Contact your attorney or DA Office to schedule a court date.

Q: What is the Sex Offender Registry?

A: People who are convicted of, adjudicated or committed for a violation, solicitation, conspiracy or attempt to commit a violation of any registerable offense on or after 12/25/1993 must register. This also includes people who have been in prison, on probation or parole or in a mental or county correctional institution since 12/25/93 for a registerable offense.

Additionally, the following sex offenders are required to register in Wisconsin if they live, work or attend school in Wisconsin:

  • any sex offender who is required to register with another state/jurisdiction
  • any sex offender convicted in a military, tribal, or federal court
  • any sex offender who has been convicted in another state of an offense comparable to one of Wisconsin's registerable offenses
  • any juvenile who is on supervision and enters Wisconsin under the Interstate Compact Agreement

Please consult WI Statute 301.45 for a detailed description of the specific circumstances that require registration. You can access specific statutes from this Web site.

940.225(1) First Degree Sexual Assault
940.225(2) Second Degree Sexual Assault
940.225(3) Third Degree Sexual Assault
940.22(2) Sexual Exploitation by Therapist
940.30 False Imprisonment-victim was minor and not the offender's child
940.31 Kidnapping -victim was minor and not the offender's child
944.01 Rape (old statute)
944.06 Incest
944.10 Sexual Intercourse with a Child (old statute)
944.11 Indecent Behavior with a Child (old statute)
944.12 Enticing Child for Immoral Purposes (old statute)
948.02(1) First Degree Sexual Assault of a Child
948.02(2) Second Degree Sexual Assault of a Child
948.025 Repeated Acts of Sexual Assault of a Child
948.05 Sexual Exploitation of a Child
948.055 Causing a child to View or Listen to Sexual Activity
948.06 Incest with a Child
948.07 Child Enticement
948.075 Use of a Computer to Facilitate a Sex Crime
948.08 Soliciting a Child for Prostitution
948.095 Sexual Assault of a Student by School Instructional Staff
948.11(2)(a)-(am) Exposing Child to Harmful Material-felony sections
948.12 Possession of Child Pornography
948.13 Convicted Child Sex Offender Working with Children
948.30 Abduction of Another's Child
971.17 Not Guilty by Reason of Mental Disease-of a listed sex offense
975.06 Sex Crimes Law Commitment
980.01 Sexually Violent Person Commitment
The Court has discretion under Wisconsin statutes to require in a court order that a person register for violating these statutes:
Chapter 940 Crimes Against Life and Bodily Security
Chapter 944 Crimes Against Sexual Morality
Chapter 948 Crimes Against Children
971.17 Not Guilty by Reason of Mental Disease or Defect
943.01-943.15 Certain Crimes Against Property
942.08 Invasion of Privacy
Q: What information are registrants required to report and what other information is kept in the registry?

A: Registrants must provide address, employment, and school information. The registry also contains information about the registrant's appearance, such as height, weight and eye color. The registry also contains information about the person's offense history and criminal record. The registry also contains information about a registrant's address, place of employment, and school enrollment. If a registrant is on probation, parole, or other correctional supervision, the registrant's agent or other staff person will provide this information to the registry, and will help update it as needed. If a registrant is not on supervision, then the registrant must provide this information.

If there is a change in any of the registrant's residence information, it must be reported to the registry as soon as possible, but usually within 10 days of the change. If the person is on parole or extended supervision, the person must report changes before they occur. If registrants do not know of the changes in advance, they must report the changes within 24 hours after the change. If the registrant is going to move, work, or attend school outside of Wisconsin, the person must notify the registry at least 10 days before the change. The person must also notify the registry in the state to which they will be moving. In addition to reporting changes promptly, each registrant must update and verify their registry information at least once per year. Registrants with more than one conviction for a registerable offense must update and verify their information every 90 days.

Q: Do juvenile sex offenders have to register?

A: Juvenile sex offenders must register if they are waived into adult court and convicted of a registerable sex offense, or if they are adjudicated by a judge for a registerable sex offense, or if they are ordered placed under county supervision, but are ordered by a judge to register. Although Juvenile's are required to register, Juvenile Information is not available to the public, but is accessible to Law Enforcement.

Q: How long does a sex offender remain on the registry?

A: Generally, people must register for 15 years if they have had one conviction for an included offense, and for life if they have more than one conviction. Certain crimes require life registration, even if there is only one conviction. Please consult WI Statute 301.45 for more detailed information.

Q: Who has access to the registry?

A: By law, a number of agencies, organizations and individuals are granted either full or limited access to the information in the registry. Law enforcement officials, victims and/or family members of sexual assault, and, to a limited extent, the general public all have access to certain and varied information available from the Sex Offender Registry. Citizens may also obtain registry information by contacting law enforcement and completing a public inquiry form. Citizens may also call the local probation/parole office to inquire about a person's status on supervision.

Q: What happens if a registrant fails or refuses to report information?

A: Failing to report or falsifying information is a may lead to criminal prosecution. The penalty for noncompliance is up to a $10,000 fine and/or up to 6 years in prison, or both. WI SS.301.45(6)(a)(2)

Q: How do I get a Concealed Carry Permit?

A: The Sheriff's Office does not issue concealed carry permits. Permits must be obtained from the State of Wisconsin Department of Justice. Click HERE for more information.

CRIME TIP HOTLINE 715-395-1230